Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Size heater to prevent cooling water sump from Freezing HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thien2002

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
I have (3) 21' x 7' x 6' Sump
Dear Friends,

We are being told to prevent this sump water from freezing. I don't know how to spec a heater that would be enough to keep this sump water around 40F when ambient temperatures fall below 40F. I think it will have a thermostat to control the heating operation. This sump water comes from the cooling tower.

The middle sump will not require heating since it will share temperature its 2 neighbor sumps.

Do anyone have any experience as far as sizing the heater and any recommendation action? Someone told me about 15KW will do the job. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of system is this - what is the inlet temperature of the water? How long is the water retained in the sumps? What is their depth of bury? How deep does the frost usually go?

On the face of it, I do not think there is an issue of freezing in the sumps, I think the problem, if any, will be in the pipe itself. I need more information than you have provided to be able to suggest some options.

KRS Services

KRS Services,

Thank you so much first. I think the temperatures to maintain in the basin is 40F. If outside temperature goes below 40F or worse below freezing then the control on the heater should kick-off. We have been recommended for 15KW. I think we will do that for now since I think it should do the job unless you have some other advices. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back