Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Size of the Universal beam to lift 50 tons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat84

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2007
GB
Hi All,

Can anyone advice me on the minimum size of I-beam or Universal beam required to lift 50 ton of weight.

Material- BSEN10025 S275JR and length of 1500 mm.Hence the load comes to around 151 Kg/mm with the safety factor of 5.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rajat84;
I would strongly recommend you hire a professional rigging company to help answer your question. When it comes to lifting beams, you are dealing with personnel safety issues and the potential for equipment damage - there is significant risk.

Please take the advice posted above.

Depending on where you are located there are normally some
standards and design requirements that have to be met. In the US there are specific design requirements that have to be met for the design and use of any underhook lifting device. I would check with the government an local authorities about any such requirements.

You will see a lot of lifting beams that have not been fabricated to any standard and most will operate satisfactorily, the problems comes when someone gets hurt.

rajat....

From your question, it sounds like this is the first time you have ever designed this type of beam. This is a bad place to begin learning

Lifing beams are special singular structural members that undergo loadings that do not change (gravity)

Unless you are a degreed structural engineer, suggest that you leave this to others...

-MJC

Hire a rigging engineer like the other guys said. engineering services are super cheap compare to your company being sued for death and damages.

Holloway Houston will be glad to build or rent you a spreader for that load (or any load for that matter).

Give more info on sling configuration and number of load attachment points to the lifting beam, then I can give you some recommendations. In our heavy steel fabrication plant, we have fabricated many lifting beams up to 60tons lifting capacity with multiple load pick points.
The details that you have given us are not enough;also can load tolerate deflection while it is being picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back