Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing a Belt Press 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper21

Civil/Environmental
Apr 2, 2013
US
I need to size a belt press for a 330,000 gallon per day wastewater treatment plant. Assuming the constituents are standard from domestic water, How can I go about this? Can someone also point me in the latest and greatest technology in the wastewater treatment world? I've heard of "Auto Thermal Anaerobic Digestion" and "Storage Nitrification Denitrification Reactor." Are these the new improved ways to go for plant upgrades?

Thank You!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to have an understanding of the biosolids disposal method that you will be using. Assuming that you have a land disposal of type B biosolids, you may use a dewatering press or centrifuge. Many operators are going with centrifuges because the presses are mechanical nightmares.

Auto Thermal Anaerobic Digestion" is used to produce a type A sludge. A type A sludge allows more or less unlimited biosolids disposal, while a type B biosolids disposal is limited to farm land disposal.

"Auto Thermal Anaerobic Digestion" is an expensive process that most do not use.

It is necessary to have a full understanding of your treatment process (BNR, tertiary, etc.), the nature of your wastewater, and the biosolids disposal options to develop a recommendation.

Equipment capacities are obtained from the manufacturers. You have to estimate the hours of operation. A small plant like this would probably operate the sludge system approximately 16 hours per week. There is a tradeoff between operating hours and press capacity.

Some small plants do not have sludge dewatering equipment, and rely on mobile dewatering operated by conract or sludge hauling.

We've had success with rotary fan presses on a few recent installations. No where near the moving parts as a belt press. Check out Prime Solutions or Fornier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back