Sizing Audio Power For a Hall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipsyengine101

Electrical
Dec 30, 2002
NG
All Eng-Tips Audiophiles!
Please I need help to select a music amplifier audio system for a church hall.
However I am not sure how to size the power requirements for such a system considering the minimum permissible sound energy levels allowed for an auditorium.

Help is also needed on the speaker arrangement schemes .

The hall walls are built of concrete and with no padding.

The shape is rectangular, with door and window openings which are often open during usage, the roof is made of asbestoes boards.

Gratefull for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

k'byte
Thanks for your response, but what is a delay processor? What package does it come in, is there another name for such an equipment?
Say I have to go to an audio shop to buy it what shall I say to the dealer?

As to the number of people the hall can sit, 500-600 is possible.

Thanks k'byte

Go to Then under support, select forums. From there select church sound forum. Those guys are very helpful and will help you select the proper gear....Peavey brand or not, it's all the same science.

Ok, the first thing you do is determine what SPL's you want to be able to maintain thru the venue....From there you select the proper speakers both by type, placement and number of cabs....Speaker selection is critical to provide the required SPL's and coverage....Too much is better, cause you can always turn the knobs down, right?

Once you have determined which and how many speaker cabs get placed where, then you can select the proper amps....Always start with speakers, and then select the amps.

Delays...Delays are nothing more than an electronic means of insuring all thru the venue hear everything clearly and without a delay....

Huh?....Use a delay to prevent hearing a delay you ask....Yep.

Let's say you cluster your speaker cabs all above the stage with some aimed downward toward those sitting in front, and the others aimed outwards towards those sitting in the rear....Then in that case, there would be a delay due to the speed of sound/distance for those in the rear....That wouldn't sound very good. So you either change speaker placement or incorporate a delay to prevent the delay.

Talk to the guys at Peavey....They do churches big time...They will assist you with proper speaker selection and placement, and also the best amps and mixer board...Several of their mixers have assignable/adjustable delay features already built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back