Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing Control Surfaces - Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrongBrother

Aerospace
Sep 29, 2004
US
Hi All,

I hate to admit this but I have gone through getting a BS and MS in Aerospace Engineering and other than some "guidelines" and "ballpark numbers", I have not seen anything on the proper way of sizing control surfaces. The guidelines I have used in the past are:

For ailerons: 1/3 span, 20% of chord,
For Rudder: full vertical tail span, 30% chord (of v-tail)
For Elevator: same as the rudder but using h-tail chord and span.

I have recently designed a small r/c plane and while the control surfaces "look" right it just seems to me that there should be something out there - like a book - that talks about the proper way to size these.

Here are a few of the books that I have consulted wihtout much luck:

Perkins & Hage, Roskam (design series and S&C blue text), Raymer and Nelson

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WrongBrother,

NACA TN-721 is the classic material from which (it seems) all else is based. It's directly applicable to tail surfaces. Ailerons seem to be ballparked, as 'adequate' and 'inadequate' roll is very subjective and can cover a large range.

TN-721 (like all good things) is available for download on the NACA Technical Reports Server.

Regards

WrongBrother,

Sorry, mixed up the numbers off the top of my head. It's NACA Report 721, or NACA TN-796. I believe they're both the same thing, both from 1941, and both titled:

"Determination of control-surface characteristics from NACA plain-flap and tab data"

That should be enough info to find it on NTRS's 'new and de-improved' search engine.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back