Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sizing of vane separators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deekay

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2003
DE
At present I'm writing a study about "high-performance vane separators for gas/liquid separation" at LINDE AG in Munich. A major part of the present investigation is designated to investigate approaches to size vane separators. Especially the way how to rate the maximal allowable gas velocity ugas,max right in front of the vane pack and the sizing of the vane pack area is important.
The type of separator this investigation is about are vane type separators, vertical assembly and horizontal flow. Both direct (IN-LINE design) and indirect approaching flow (TWO STAGE design) are to be analyzed.
Are there any calculation methods about this topic available?? Furthermore I'm interested in possible inlet devices (e.g. Schoepentoeter, half-open pipe) and the respecting operating conditions under which they are deployed.
Would be awesome if someone could send me information about the sizing procedure.

Thanx, Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only data I have on vane pack separator sizing is a rho*v^2 criteria calculated based on (lb/sec / ft2)^2 / rho gas.

The GPSA engineering data book has a recommended sizing guideline of 20 lb/fts^2, one manufacturer I worked with went up to 40 for retrofits as an allowable maximum (I think their sizing basis for a new system was about 30).

The recips I was analyzing had a rho*v2 for their vane packs of just over 100 and had no sign of liquid entrainment (vapors came off a flash separator from the oil and then through a scrubber containing the vane pack element). The area we had was from the original vendor (it was NOT shown on the drawings) but looking at the size of the separators and the dimensions we did have, the vendor's area looked reasonable.

Maximum gas velocity through vane separator is depending of droplet size and shape of vanes. Check with suppliers of these vane separators (like Lechler, Munters, Envicon...)what the maximum velocity would be that they would recomend for your application. For a good performance of these droplet separators, a good gas distribution is as important as the sizing of the separotors itself.

The Involvement I had was quite a while ago
1976 till late 1980s.

Not sure who is still in the Business
Names that spring to mind are
Premaberg, Peerless and a quick look on the Knitmesh site
showed 2 articles.
Not sure how helpful these might be ?

Hope this helps

stuartj

SEPARATION
Metal Mesh Pads (131kb pdf file)
Mist Elimination article Hydrocarbon Engineering March 2001 (337kb pdf file)

Vendors include:
Peerless
Burgess Manning
ConsepT
CDS Engineering
NATCO

and many others. I found these by an internet search on vane Pack Separators.

Until just a few years ago, a company called Peerless, held US Patents for these devices; however, I understand that those have now expired. Thus, the result is that many companies are now getting into this business, and actually are making improvements, both in the modeling, and, in the hardware. For example, where Peerless had a "hook" at the end of the vanes, recent developments include two "hooks"; and, other companies are experimenting with surface treatments (in terms of surface roughness, contours, etc.).

Just when you think you know something, it changes.

I already have contact to the manufacturers but obtained different maximum gas velocities. Is there any correlation or calculation method to compare these specification. I have to check if the values are reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back