Sizing Tube-to-Tubesheet Welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrande

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2003
US
Tom,

When I design a Fixed Tubesheet exchanger, Compress will perform the UW-20.6 calculations to size the tube-to-tubesheet welds for both partial strength welds & full strength welds. I noticed that these calculations are not performed for U-Tube type exchangers.

As far as I can tell from reading Part UHX & UW-20, these calculations are still required.

Am I missing something here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think Compress has any date to use in a strength calculation on on a U-tube bundle.

As I don't have access to the code references you posted out of curiosity I looked up the design of numerous U-tube bundles designed prior to and with Compress and none have any references to these strength calculations. One caveat is that all these bundles had the tubes rolled prior to seal welding.

In reality there is nothing to calculate strength wise.

Don(?),

I've asked one of our engineers to review and respond to you on the forum. Or, you can write directly to our support address.

I am out of pocket for a few days, attending an ASCE seminar.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Yes Tom. It is Don.

I will send an e-mail directly to Codeware's support address.

Unclesyd,

It is not a strength calculation that I am looking for. Part UHX of the Code directs me to UW-20.6 for the physical sizing of the weld regardless of required pull strength resistance.

Thanks for your replies.

I agree that the sizing calculations for full strength welds should include U-Tubes. The sizing formulas provided by the Code applies equally to U-Tubes. If the Compress user selects "full strength welds", then the sizing and calculations should be provided.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back