Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skeleton methodology...without skeletons

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibayoymicabayo

Aerospace
May 9, 2011
NL
Hello everyone,

I moved to a new company recently, and the software of choice here is Creo 2.0. In my previous job I designed using the skeleton methodology and wanted use it in Creo as well. However, our licenses are restricted and we do not have the skeleton parts. What is the best way to implement this methodology without those skeleton models?

I am used to Catia, where I created a part (the SKE) with all the geometrical elements and parameters I needed. Those elements would then be copied and glued into the parts. How can I implement that philosophy? (it does not have to be the exact same procedures) My first approaches:

- Create the parameters and the geometrical elements in the very same assembly (that could not be done in Catia) and design the parts in context using those geometrical elements as references for the parts directly;
- Create the parameters and the geometrical elements in a separate part instead (which would be the SKE);
- Using any of the two previous approaches, but then creating geometrical elements in the parts, coincidents to the ones in the SKE and draw the parts using their own geometrical elements as references;
- Create only the parameters in the assemblies, and create geometrical elements in the parts, using the parameters for that. The parts would then be drawn using only those elements.

My goal is to create a robust and well organized model, and I am rather new to Creo.

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i am not quite sure that i follow you. do you perhaps have a picture of such a skeleton part?
if i understand correctly, it holds all the base sketches for all parts? it sounds similar like in autocad, except that it's 3D (you sketch everything, then you just extrude it).

If you really need to use skeleton model, you better get the extra license. I had same issue with you when i needed to design a machine like excavator (which is actually easy if you can use skeleton model).
Unfortunately, due to budget restriction plus we are not going to use it vastly, we had to go manual *which is quite time consuming. Luckily we could use the mechanism function.

@BEMPE16524 Thanks for the answer! I am going manual as well. None of the other designers know about this methodology and they are not very open to changing their way of designing. Besides that, I don´t do CAD design only, so I don´t think the company will purchase the license just for 8-10 hours of design per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back