Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch Angular Dim and Origin (Super Basic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catiaUSR

Aerospace
Apr 9, 2014
US
Hi guys

This is my first time using Creo Parametric (and I'm using 6.0 apparently).

Within a .sec file I have created the attached sketch. My first question is: where the heck is the origin? When you create a sketch within a part file it gives you one but I don't see it when creating a .sec file. So here, instead, I've just stuck two construction line together.

Now, I'm trying to create angular dimensions between [1] the two lines that position the slotted hole and [2] the horizontal construction line that I have (this would be kind of the reverse to the dimensions it auto-gave me). I'm selecting the Dimension button then selecting one of the lines and then the other... and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

If you need me to make a video or annotate the screenshot let me know and I'll get on it.

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ab4af9e4-2b97-4cf4-acb2-60f44458f484&file=basic_sketch.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro/E is super anal about selecting things, I suspect you need to hold the control key down while selecting those two lines and then place the dim with the middle button but I've never used that version.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Ah, gracias, dgallup, that got me on the right path.

It turns out I have to click the first line, ctrl-click the second line, wait for a context menu to show up and then hit a little Angular Dimension button on that. Very strange you can't get to that button elsewhere in the app.

And as far as the origin is concerned I'm still not sure where that is but I guess I'll kick that down the road to whenever I have to import one of these sketches anywhere.

Thanks!

I don't think sketches have an origin unless you put a coordinate system into the sketch. I've never found much use for stand alone sketches. I much prefer to have sketches embedded in features.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Even if a 2-D csys is in a sketch it isn't an origin unless some sketch element depends on it. When one creates a sketch in a part the "origin" is determined by the sketch references in the remaining part. A standalone sketch is useful to rapidly paste into part sketch geometry at a level that is below the complexity of creating a UDF. Whether they are embedded or not embedded they still require anchoring via dimensions or alignment to existing geometry unless they are placed before any other feature. It's been a while since I've done that so I don't recall noting what the software did.

I used to have .sec files for things like hexagons and obrounds. There were probably others, but I don't recall them offhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back