Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sketch dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

krickard

Automotive
Feb 22, 2006
US
Okay, I must be missing something obvious here. I go to edit my sketch and all the dimensions i put on it are not showing up. If I choose "edit parameters" from the part nav while out of the sketch, I see all my dims as expressions so I know they are there. I just can't see them when i go back into the sketch. What am I doing wrong or what aren't I doing?

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, that worked! I never checked to see if anything was blanked within the sketch. I knew it had to be something simple. Thanks!

This behavior is working as inteneded since it allows a user to 'declutter' a complicated sketch so that when it's edited, only those expressions that the original designer felt were the ones that needed to be available for editing were visible. If all 'hidden' dimensions were made visible during an edit, there would be no way to present only the relevant paramaters.

Note that for NX 6 we've gone one step further and provided an even more interesting scheme to make editing an existing sketch easier and more controllable. For NX 6 you can now explicitly declare which dimensions that you would like to be visible at ALL times, even when not in the Sketch editor. One of the purposes for this capability was to support the PMI tools where you annotate your 3D model instead of placing dimension on views of a drawing. But we've also added the ability to select and edit these sketch dimensions without having to actually open the sketch editor.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Sounds good to me. Even though I won't see NX6.0 until GM upgrades to that (which will be 2+ years I'm sure).

Justin Ackley
Designer

Is there a way to make certain components hidden lines invisable in a drawing view, sort of like making components not hatch in a section view. I want to see the hidden lines in a view but not the hidden lines in some of the components. I also don't want to do a view dependent edit on these and I have removed as much of the hidden objects from the components but there are still lots of hidden lines. Using NX4.

Bob Snead
Designer
Northropgrumman.com

Bob,

I think you already posted this separately, which was the appropriate thing to do as this question has nothing much to do with the sketching thread. So I've answered in the other post.

Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back