Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Skewed Planes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcistat

Mechanical
May 12, 2010
US
Im trying to make a thin member that is skewed and therefore rotates from 0 degrees at one end, to 45 degrees at the other.

tips?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Loft? Sweep w/ guide curve?

I think more information regarding what you're trying to achieve might help. You have a clear image of what you want I'm sure, but I cannot figure out what that vision is from your question.

yes sorry. more details are required.

what ive tried is drawing two lines.
-the first is O degrees of rotation.
-the second is on a new parallel plane further away with a rotation of 45 degrees (its center is lined up with the first line)

I tried to use loft a surface between the two line segments. that didnt work

I then drew in guide curves (essentially completing the edge of my skewed plane), and tried to loft again. This did not work either. It kept on saying i had an open loop.

thanks for input!

Odd that you can't get that to work with your initial selection. I just tried the same and had to work perfectly. Can you provide a selection of your loft properties and sketch profiles?

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 10 x64, SP 3.0
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

As Joe stated, the Loft between two lines should work.

Can you create a video to show what is happening?

An alternative would be to create a flat surface and then use the Flex function with the twist option.

For swept solid features a solid closed sketch is required. An error stating this requirement will be displayed. Also the twist along curve will not give you straight edges.

Do either a loft or sweep feature and use Thicken command to get a solid. Or you can try using the flex feature twist option. If you sketch your lines in a 3d sketch you can get the offset plane as internal to the 3dsketch and simplify your tree or sketch 2 rectangles 45 degrees from each other and use 2 closed sketches. To see the differences between the loft and twist along curve sweep you can flip the 45 degree twist angle for the swept feature.

sw%20Skewed_Planes%20methods.PNG

Michael

Did you try a surface loft or a solid loft? I believe a surface loft is in order for this situation. Can you post your model or a representative one? I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back