Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skillman Index for Calcium Sulfate scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR

Chemical
Mar 28, 2002
CA
I came across a reference to the "Skillman Index" for Calcium Sulfate scaling while looking into information on scale inhibitors for sulfate scaling in an evaporator.
I was unable to find anything more than 1 single-line reference to this with my limited resources.
If somebody could give me an idea where to look for information on this or any other info on Calcium Sulfate scale inhibition, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CaSO4 scalling is unusual because CaCO3 or SiO2 scale fist (in most of the cases), so max. COC (cycles of concentration)are calculeted in CaCO3 or SiO2 basis.
The way CaSO4 scale is inhibited is similar to CaCO3: by means of a polyacrilate or acrilic-co-polymer, and/or a Ca-complexation agent. Some comercial polyacrilates bulletins have specific info about CaSO4 antiscalling performance.
I wish I´d have more info, but this has been enought for me to deal with diferent water cooling towers.
Regards,
Luis

PS
Invitation to spanish spoken fellows

Invitación
Esta es una invitación a participar en la comunidad Aguas y Efluentes.
Está dirigida a los profesionales, técnicos e interesados en el tratamiento de efluentes industriales y aguas residuales urbanas, potabilización, análisis de laboratorio, química del agua y temas relativos al medioambiente.
Saludos,
Lic. Luis Sabaté

I came across a reference to the "Skillman Index" for Calcium Sulfate scaling while looking into information on scale inhibitors for sulfate scaling in an evaporator.
I was unable to find anything more than 1 single-line reference to this with my limited resources.
If somebody could give me an idea where to look for information on this or any other info on Calcium Sulfate scale inhibition, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

We are experiencing calcium sulfate scaling in our cooling tower (20,000 usgpm). Our pH is adjusted with sulfuric acid so we don't see calcium carbonate scaling, but our film fill is plugging up after 2 - 3 years. Can anyone suggest how to monitor, predict, and mitigate this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back