Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slab on grade design

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAMO

Structural
Apr 1, 2004
CA
Sorry, I just posted this on the wrong forum.

When I worked for an oil company, I saw big water tanks that accompany rigs put right on the grade. Now when designing a slab on grade for a warehouse, My boss asks for 8 inches thickness and two layers of reinforcement.

How do you design slab on grades?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slabs-on-grade for warehouses can be subjected to both uniform loads (uniform product storage) and concentrated loads (fork trucks, post loads from storage racks, non-uniform storage, etc.). Both types of loadings create stresses in the slab. Uniform loads will create stresses where the storage ends and there is an aisle or an unloaded area. Most often, the concentrated loads will control the design.

The slab is assumed to be supported by a series of springs (that have no ability to accept tension, only compression). You, therefore, need to assume a spring constant for the soil, although this won't have too much affect on the slab thickness.

I would suggest a book titled "Designing Floor Slabs On Grade" by Boyd Ringo and Robert Anderson. There are many methods, charts and tables that address these issues.

Best of Luck!

I got in to check my books. ACI 302 is Guide for ConcreteFloor and Slab Construction
ACI 360 is design of slabs on grade. It deals more with subgrade questions, etc.

I agree with jike....the definitive slab on grade design guide is the guide as published by Ringo and Anderson. I have used their guide when designing slabs on grade with expansive soil potential (post tensioned slabs).

PCA also publishes excellent guides as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back