Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLC500 to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusterminator

Electrical
Sep 24, 2009
CA
I have an SLC 500 and would like to hook it to my computer. It has an ethernet connector on the front of it. I was wondering if I could make a special cable RJ45 to RS232 to connect the PLC to my RS232 computer port? Or is there a cable for the SLC500 that is for sale for this aplication?

Thanks for any suggestions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which SLC do you have?? If it is an SLC 505 then it is an ethernet port and you could use a crossover ethernet cable from the plc to your pc enet port and set pc to be on same ip network. If it not a 505 then that is a dh485 port ond you will let the smoke out of the ports on pc and SLC if you connect. You would need a 1747-uic or an old pic box to connect.

Thanks for the info....I already hooked up to a 58211 Mini -Com 485 to eithernet and it smoked a little. do you think I fried the plc? Or is there a chance it will still work?

Probably fried the port but not the processor. Does it have a second port on the processor? If not you are most likely outta luck with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back