Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sldbgproc.exe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18c5rjdm

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2005
US
Does anyone know what this is? I start SW, not there... I open a huge drawing (about 1.5G), not there, I try and add a balloon, wait 5 minutes, then BOOM this thing shows up in the task manager and is using tons om memory...about half of what SW is using, Mem Delta for SW is 0, for the sldbgproc.exe is around 800.... totally baffled.... never seen it before... Anyone?

Go Honda!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I read that, I get no pop-ups, or anything to do with outlook, it just kills my machine, and SW will not let me respond to any commands, all I can do is wait....And it won't go away unless I end the process through task manager.

Go Honda!

I don't know what your system specs are, but if you are trying to open a 1.5GB file you are almost certainly running out of memory.

Do you have the /3GB switch enabled?

Please list your computer specs.

[cheers]

I have a Dell Xeon 3.20 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM. That's about all I know about it, I'm a CAD geek not a CPU geek....no offense.. I've got my Virtual memory paging size set to 6000 MB...

Go Honda!

What is the sldbgproc in the task manager when opening large drawings?
“sldbgproc.exe” is a background processing which has been added in SolidWorks 2006 to generate precise views in drawings. This may appear during printing and various save as functions like: PDF, DXF, DWG, etc. “sldbgproc.exe” double-checks drawing views to ensure they are correct before export or print.

What can initiate the sldbgproc.exe process when working with drawings?
There are different scenarios that will spawn the sldbgproc.exe process when working with drawings in SolidWorks 2006 and beyond. This process applies only to drawing views which are in HLV or HLR display modes and set to high quality.

While working in an active session of SolidWorks, the sldbgproc.exe process will run if a change is made to the model or assembly and the model is regenerated. Upon returning to the drawing, the process will begin if "automatic view update" is turned on or on the next rebuild as the drawing views will be updated to reflect the changes. This also applies to changing model dimensions within the drawing and rebuilding. If a high quality view display style is changed to HLV or HLR, the process will begin. New HLV, HLR views created in high quality will also start the process.

While a drawing is opening, the sldbgproc.exe will not begin until after the model references have been fully loaded. Also, the background process will begin if the drawing views are rebuilt on open.

SW07 SP1.0

Flores

Have you tried using teh SW knowledge base yet?

Question:

What can initiate the sldbgproc.exe process when working with drawings?

Answer:

There are different scenarios that will spawn the sldbgproc.exe process when working with drawings in SolidWorks 2006 and beyond. This process applies only to drawing views which are in HLV or HLR display modes and set to high quality.

While working in an active session of SolidWorks, the sldbgproc.exe process will run if a change is made to the model or assembly and the model is regenerated. Upon returning to the drawing, the process will begin if "automatic view update" is turned on or on the next rebuild as the drawing views will be updated to reflect the changes. This also applies to changing model dimensions within the drawing and rebuilding. If a high quality view display style is changed to HLV or HLR, the process will begin. New HLV, HLR views created in high quality will also start the process.

While a drawing is opening, the sldbgproc.exe will not begin until after the model references have been fully loaded. Also, the background process will begin if the drawing views are rebuilt on open.

Please review S-07894 to find out more information about the sldbgproc.exe and why it is beneficial for when working with drawings.

Question:

What is “sldbgproc.exe”?

Answer:

“sldbgproc.exe” is a background processing which has been added in SolidWorks 2006 to generate precise views in drawings. This may appear during printing and various save as functions like: PDF, DXF, DWG, etc. “sldbgproc.exe” double-checks drawing views to ensure they are correct before export or print.
Question:

What is the sldbgproc in the task manager when opening large drawings?

Answer:

Sldbgproc.exe is the program name for the “SolidWorks Background process.” When large drawings are loaded a file itself may load very quickly and the background process updates the views on active and inactive sheets silently. Prior to SolidWorks 2006, users would have to wait until all views were updated before opening a file. With the Sldbgproc, files can load much more quickly while updating occurs in the background increasing user productivity.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

I think you'll find that trick very handy if you're working with files of that size. I was stopped in my tracks in September until getting an additional 1GB of RAM (for a total of 3GB) and enabling the switch. Apart from some unrelated difficulties, this solved my problem instantly.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back