Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slide groundwater analysis for circular/axisymmetric problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTeng

Civil/Environmental
Sep 17, 2002
US
Have any of you used Slide (by Rocscience) or similar programs that have seepage analysis capabilities to evaluate circular or axisymmetric problems? The Slide tutorial includes an example problem for a cofferdam but never states the configuration. It is assumed that this is a long linear feature, and the results represent the findings for a unit length of the cofferdam. However, could the same analysis be used to represent a circular cofferdam, with appropriate modifications? Any suggestions or references for this type analysis? I suppose a text like Cedergren, etc., would address this with respect to flow nets, but I don't have that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe that Slide provides solutions to axisymemetric problems.

Multiplying the Slide 2D flow by one half (because the flow comes in from both sides) the circumference will give you an upper bound (more flow) on the solution.

Plaxis has an option for axisymmetry or you could analyze the problem using a solution for flow into a well. Model the sheeting in the analysis using an equivalent thickness and permeability. You may even find a closed form solution for flow into a circular cofferdam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back