Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slip Resistance of Painted Working Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

doct9960

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
CA
A steel ladder will be hot-dip galvanized plus painted. The ladder will be used during operation & maintenance of a petrochemical plant. Is there an OSHA regulation about the slip resistance of ladder rungs?

I looked into OSHA 1910 Subpart D and I didn't seem to find any requirements about slip-resistance. I found this report , but it is based on a construction industry. I would like to know if there are investigations or regulations about the slip-resistance of working surfaces in the general industry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

doc..

OSHA publishes a "Cliff Notes" version of it's regulations.

If there are any reuirements about slip resistance, they should be here. (I haven't had an opportunity to review this document)

Let us know what you find....

Regards

-MJC

MJC,

Thanks for the link.

On that "cliff note"...under Fixed Ladders, I found this paragraph...
"Rungs and steps of fixed metal ladders manufactured after March 15, 1991, must be corrugated, knurled, dimpled, coated with skid-resistant material or treated to minimize
slipping."

I'll try to research the OSHA website if they have a criteria for measuring "skid resistance". I'll also try to find something about that "corrugated, knurled, dimpled" rungs mentioned above. We've always just used plain round bars. Even PIP (process industries practices) specifies smooth round bar rungs.

Just found out that the fixed ladder requirement for rungs to be "corrugated, knurled, dimpled, coated with skid-resistant material or treated to minimize slipping" is just for the Construction industry. Nothing similar is said about the OHS for the General Industry.

doc....

The "PIPers" are always a little late to the ballgame.

Remember that the PIP people are out there trying to make a buck and that they must pass every guidline through a large number of experts.

-My opinion only..

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back