SLOTS OVERLAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesEngineer4

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2013
IN
Hello All,

I have procured a few parts for proto-building, and after that, some changes in the components lead to this issue. With the earlier component, I have a mounting provision for M10 and with the new component, we have m12 and also mounting position got shifted. Now, If they drill the slots at the new location and consider they were overlapped and slots are oversized. Is there any way to use the oversized slots instead of procuring new parts? Could anyone please suggest one?

Thanks & Regards,
Sam

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6dab0872-7d9c-44ec-aea2-45ad14ac0fa5&file=reference.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi shanmuk44

You could use big thick oversized washers as previously suggested.
My concern would be the loss of efficiency in the bolted joint due to the stiffness not being consistent around the slots which also depends on how critical the joint needs to be.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

shanmuk44,

How did you not see this when you did your CAD modelling? This is why you do assembly models, and assembly fabrication drawings.

Without understanding the rest of your assembly, we cannot answer your question intelligently.

--
JHG

Fill in the old slot with weld?
What direction and magnitude are the loads in?
Is this a slip-critical joint?
What are the materials?
What are the bolts used for (location only, clamping, anchorage, critical joint, etc)?
Is vibration or temperature changes present?
How many of these are there?
What is the factor of safety for this joint?
Are there other fasteners in this joint?
Can the M12 be moved back to where the M10 was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back