Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow data!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalipa

Materials
Jun 5, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

I have (from a customer) some pro/e assembly files that are really slow. (when opening, manipulating etc..).

I think that just a couple of parts are the culprits. Their first features have been created using copy_geom and or external_copy (from parts outside of the assemblies sent to me).

In the hope to speed things up: I have created some layers to layer these features off and I’ve also created simplified reps of various combinations of visible components for use.

The downside is that I’m continually getting new versions of these assemblies, so I need to repeat this and I need the parts present to check clearances etc.

Any idea how I can speed things up?

A colleague, who has visited the customer noted that these very same assemblies whiz around their m/c’s without any problem. (Also, indicated by the lack of reps and layers these guys use).

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

J,

I you really have no need to manipulate the data then have them send you a Shrinkwrap model of the assembly. This is right out of the Pro/E help file regarding Shrinkwrap.

To share data with internal and external design groups and improve performance in large assembly design, you can capture lightweight representations of models, called "Shrinkwrap models." A Shrinkwrap model is based on the external surfaces of the source part or assembly model and captures the "skin," or outer shape, of the source model.

I use this method to send data to my customers. Best of luck

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back