Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow LCD Display in Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimmerDN

Electrical
Jan 17, 2013
CA
Hi

I want to some feedback from others on this site. I have a touchscreen rated to -20C that's mounted outdoors but the response is often very slow and laggy during cold weather months. It often dips down to -10C around here. A slow touchscreen is a major annoyance for the users.

I am looking for a solution to improve the situation and I was thinking maybe panel mounting the device (a transmitter) in a heated enclosure. Even thought the LCD display is still exposed to the elements but maybe the radiating heat from internals of the transmitter to the back of the LCD is enough gain some noticeable improvements?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are waiting for OLED to become more reliable and then use those for touch screens in portable devices. If it isn't portable and mains connected, then a PTC heater should work.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

If you're talking about a loop powered instrumentation transmitter, one typically consumes about 3.6mA for powering its internal electronics. That's not quite 0.1W which isn't going to go very far heating up anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back