Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow part update

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesleyc

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2003
US
I’m experiencing a very slow part update. I have a number of pads that are patterned in an circular array. It doesn’t seem to be that complex. Rolling back in my model is painful when I change things like the base part or blends. Updating to 30% may take 20 minutes and then it goes fairly quickly. Is there some setting I can set/unset? I am exporting out my model to see if that helps, to which by the way its updating to even do that

It isn’t my original file but it seems if I even look at it funny it wants to update. I don’t recall it updating this often or this slowly

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX are you running? Have you recently updated your software?

When you created the Circular Array of 'pads', did you use the...

Insert -> Associative Copy -> Instance Feature...

...function? If so, did you try either the 'Simple' or 'Identical' method rather than the default 'General'? Note that using the 'General' method, while it tends to work more often, is also the slowest to update. If you can use the 'Simple', or better yet the 'Identical', method, your model will update faster, but you will need to perform some trial and error tests to see if you can use the faster methods. Note that you can edit after the fact as to what Method you used so you can experiment with your existing model. My advice would be to first set the current feature to the NEXT feature AFTER the last Instance feature before attempting to edit the Array. To Edit the Array, double-click on any of its members, and the select the 'Instance Array Dialog' option and then you can try a different method. If 'Simple' works, great, but if 'Identical' works, that's better yet.

Anyway, give that a try and see if you can make those changes and see if it helps your update.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

hi john...i'm on 6.0.15. i def. see an increase in generating my pattern using simple. i have my pads in a feature group with some blends. using groups it apprears the only option for an array is general...

If you're using NX 6.0 you may wish to try...

Insert -> Synchronous Modeling -> Reuse -> Pattern Face...

...which is also a very efficient method to use, if all of the faces are truly identical. Of course you would have to rebuild your model since you can NOT convert an Instance Array into a Pattern of Faces.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back