Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow plotting with DesignJet 500 and AutoCAD 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsengineering

Agricultural
Jul 21, 2006
US
We use a HP DesignJet 500/42-in plotter and plot complex line drawings from AutoCAD 2006. Originally, it was painfully slow getting the plot files to the plotter, but we now plot to LPT1: via the NET USE command, which spools the plot into system memory and then sends it across the LAN to a Netgear PS111W print server connected to the plotter. That gets us working in AutoCAD again in due time, but we have noticed that the plotter can take as long as ten minutes for a single E-sized plot (34x44). I am looking for ways to speed the plotter up since this slow speed has nearly made me miss shipping deadlines on more than one occasion. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Increase the memory of the plotter. I too use a DesignJet 500, and had to upgrade the memeory to 256 megs, plus we had been using a 10mb print server, changing to a 100mb increased thru-put. We plot using the TCP/IP port assignment method, and a complex drawing starts plotting in 10-30 seconds, finishes (normal mode) in 3-5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back