Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sludge density measurement (Municipal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanier

Mechanical
May 20, 2001
AU
I am seeking an instrument to measure primary sludge density so that the feed to anerobic digesters can be controlled at 3.5% solids. I intend using the instrumnet to control the withdrawal from primary sedimentation tanks.

The sludge is highly charged with fats and grease. The actual density of the pumped fluid varies only slightly and I understand that density meters are not that successful on this application.

Can anyone please suggest a successfully applied instrument for this duty.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not had great success with sludge density meters but the ones that did work more often than most were manufactured by Mobrey a UK company I think.

I did try to get a client to use nucleonic type but there are usually very large regulatory problems associated with this type of density meter.

Microwave "consistancy" meters work on this application well. The only limitation of the technology is medium to high conductivity and air bubbles. Toshiba manufactures one called the LQ300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back