Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slug Catcher Design Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahlilj

Mechanical
May 4, 2001
US
Anyone have suggestions on a good company for engineering slug catchers? We have a slug catcher made by a company which is not working for our operating conditions. The manufacturer for it seems unwilling to help, so we want to have another company review the design and give modification suggestions (other than scrapping the current design and replacing with something different. I have heard of Taylor Forge, but I'm concerned that they may be more into fabricating their own equipment and designs than reviewing ours and offering modification suggestions. Eagleton Engineering has been recommended as a good company for this need, but I'm not familiar with them.

Can someone please help? I am no expert at all with regards to slug catchers, but understand the principle behind their design. Although this one we currently have is unlike anything I have seen before.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you give us a few clues as to where you are and what your issue is. SLug catchers come in many forms (vessels, finger, multi finger) and some idea of flow rate, size, pressure etc will probably get you a more detailed response. If you can upload a picture or drawing showing the relevant bits that don't work then we might be able to help...

Slug cathchers should be designed, not just "made" so it implies something is wrong with the design or that the operating conditions are different to the design basis. Normally you need to try and visualise the flow, allow balancing of levels and presusres and slow the gas velocity down as much as you can to allow the liquid to drop out. There are many ways of doing this, but the question as it stands is just too vague.

I am quite happy to review the design, but need some of the info above.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Thanks for replying littleinch. let me rephrase a couple of sentences which hopefully will minimize some confusion:" We have a slug catcher made by a company which is not working for our operating conditions. The manufacturer for it seems unwilling to help, so we want to have another company review the design and give modification suggestions (other than scrapping the current design and replacing with something different"

I probably should have wrote: "We have a slug catcher designed by a company, but is not working for our operating conditions. That company seems unwilling to help, so we want to have another company review the design and give modification suggestions (other than scrapping the current design and replacing with something different)".

The facility is located in west virginia. It is as finger (harp) style and unlike any design I have ever seen. I've uploaded a picture of it. The fingers on it are sloped up (1% grade) as it goes away from the inlet header. The flow is about 200MMSCFD at ~900#. The issue is that it is allowing large liquid slugs which we feel should be handled by the slug catcher but appear to be bypassing it alltogether as if no liquids are being stored in the fingers.

Anyway, I'm not looking so much for anyone to solve the problem which is why i never gave details, but simply can anyone suggest a good company which designs and engineers slug catchers (particularly finger style)?? Or what are your thoughts on the two companies I mentioned: Taylor Forge & Eagleton

Thanks.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9eeaec2f-8821-45cf-b8f3-e4669ab18974&file=Photo086.jpg
Kahlilj,

I'm not surprised it isn't working if, as I suspect, your are running 200MMSCFD through what looks like a 10" or 12" header?? I hesistate to think what the actual velocity is, but you won't get much, if any, drop out if the flow is one side of the header in the photo to the other??. As far as companies in West Virginia are concerned I know not (I'm based in the UK), but that design looks absolutley dreadful. You are looking at re-design of the entire header section of the slug catcher. At the very very least you need to separate out the inlet header from the outlet header so need new tees or weldolets on the fingers. Even that may not be enough. If you made the cross header several sizes larger it would help - up to or bigger than the fingers, but then you might exceed the flange ratings. Any modification needs to be properly looked at for stress and loadings.

Any decent gas separation plant designer should be able to do tis for you, but just ask to see some of the designs he's done and make sure they separate the inlet from the outlet and make the header out of much bigger pipe. just type finger type slug cathcer design into google images and that should give you some idea of how it should be done.

Eagleton, as I knew them, don't fabricate. If you want a design review or a new design, they're certainly up to it. Taylor has been around long time. They're up to it too, but I think you're right, they would rather do a new build.

Looks like a nano for 200 MM. As bro said, you must slow the velocity down. Nothing's going to drop out of that. Something more the slug catcher shown here, or a vertical one more like the CO2 contactor
Independent events are seldomly independent.

Thanks big & little inches. y'all are brothers? :)

I thought I had replied earlier but I guess it never wen through, but lil inch. I am not seeking a company that has to be in West Virginia. It doesn't matter to me where in the USA the company is located. going "across the pond" thought may not be needed :) but i appreciate your thoughts on what to look for in a design.

Biginch, I appreciate your inpuit too. Correct Eagleton does not fab. I just wanted them to look at our design and provide feed back on whether they can do something with it or not. We spoke with them to and they are interested in providing a solution.

Thanks all for your help

We're just brothers in arms... Didn't see your second photo until after I posted a reply, which is even more confusing. It actually looks to me like it's been built upside down(!). I doubt you're going to get away without some major pipework mods myself, but will need a ite visit to check angles and what has actually been built.

Essentially slug catchers are simple two stage separators, either a large inlet tube (3-4- times the inlet size) with a large storage underneath it (the fingers) or flow split into multiple pipe type separators and flow split between them all. Gas out should always be off the top to avoid liquid velocity making it through the "separator".

You can always e-mail drawings... ;-)

Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back