Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slug catcher design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlpm

Chemical
Jun 17, 2005
what the procedure i must follow to size slug catcher volume if i have liquid holdup,slug volume,slug length, slug frequency

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, Schlumberger program only simulate the two phase and determine the type of flow,liquid holdup,slug volume,slug length and slug frequency but not determine Slug catcher size or design, i ask if there is program can help in slug catcher desgin or how can i use the output of pipesim to design slug catcher

Once you know the size and frequency of the slugs, its just a matter of knowing how many you will collect before you empty the slug catcher. That will depend on what you will do with them and how you will do it, pass them along to another holding tank, send them for processing, truck them off, etc. Determine a reasonable frequency (+ a time safety factor) of whatever downstream operation you need to perform and size the slug catcher for catching all slugs during the period of that downstream operation frequency.

For example if you will receive 1000 bbl slugs, say once every 4 or 5 days, and you can only schedule one 40,000 gal truck a week, you need to make a slug catcher with at least a 2000 bbl capacity + some volume for a safety factor for truck delays or a catching a little bigger slug than you planned on, so say a slug catcher of about 3000 bbls capacity should do.

In this ady and age slug catchers are a little more complicated. We have just fiquired out the size and duration of the slugs, but I've never seen a slug catcher used where a truck pulls up and carries it a way.

We typically drop the fluids into a tank first. This way the the you only need to design a slug catcher for one slug, then dump it a rate fast enough to empty it before the next slug. Your storage tank will now be a low pressure vessel and adjustable in size easily to compensate for liquid removal.

Here's the difficult part todat. EPA and VRU economics. All those liquids will empty from a slug catcher and flash off money and EPA noncompliance. Now you have to size a VRU. The VRU is a function of the rate you dump liquids from the slug cather to the storage tank. Now you will have to find the equalibrium balance between the VRU, Slug catcher and storage tank.

Simply put, you could put in the MOASC and have a 2HP VRU that runs 24/7 or you could put in a 10 BBL slug catcher witha 8" dump valve and a 100 HP VRU that runs 5 seconds and shuts down until the next slug comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back