Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slurry Density with Cyclones

Status
Not open for further replies.

dainebryce

Civil/Environmental
Feb 3, 2016
ZA
I am currently busy with my final year project. I work at a company that is currently struggling to get the desire split ratio to construct the tailings dam! We are going to run trials - varying the spigot and vortex finder to try find the optimum pair!

There is just one other thing that I think could be the issue, but I don't know if it is possible? The slurry comes from the plant which is 30km away, after it reaches the dam it gets pumped through a booster pump, the pipe also splits in to several directions and then splits again into several cyclones! I would like to know if the long distance and all the pipe splitting could have an effect on the density? We use the densities from the plant but I have a feeling that we shouldn't because the density could change when it reaches the dam? This change in density ultimately could effect the split due to density?

Are there any other factors that could contribute to this issue maybe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are asking about density at source compared to density at the cyclone/s?
The density from source to the holding dam is of no importance provided it is being pumped economically - and why would / how could it change, X density into the pipeline X density delivered?
The density from the holding dam to the cyclones etc. is a design function to achieve the designed density, as for any change in density throughout the system in theory no, but in practice maybe if at some points in the system due to restrictions direction changes some dewatering could take place and effect cyclone performance.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

The average density cant change, but if this is being re-pumped and split I would have to guess that there is some separation happening and not every cyclone is actually seeing the same density or particle size distribution. Your piping is doing some separation along the way.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hey Daine,

One way to overcome problem is to use sedimentation process to separate material size.
It will work better in base metal mine where the grind is coarser.

Gold mines tend to grind very fine and little sedimentation will occur early, so not much beach deposition. Dykes will probably need to be raised out of waste rock in that case.

See drawing below.

I have also seen mines with ''impervious'' dykes with clay or Saprolite cores to retain tails, but these dykes were not made of tails.

If size separation is to be achieved through cyclones, ask the mineral processors as they are the ones who usually run cyclones and do the size separation at the mill. They're use to it, for they do it and send the coarse parts to regrind. They will come to you with a proccess sheet that represent what process you need to achieve what you want. But their proposed process may not fit your process and cost you money.

Cheers

Also, do not expect only water in water collection, fine tails will get there. Drawing was already done and scanned. Sorry.
Tails_edhbbq.jpg

Ingenieur Minier. QuTbec, Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back