Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Ball Valves to API 6D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KernOily

Petroleum
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi guys. Looking for a 3/4" carbon steel standard-port thread or SW ball valve that is good to API 6D. I have searched catalogs and none of the ones I've seen say whether they are compliant. Flanged valves yes, but not small NPT/SW valves. API 6D does not have any size requirements or restrictions that I can find so I'm not even certain if 6D is applicable to small ball valves (I think it is). Any help or pointers would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance! Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi KernOily,

API 6D does cover small sizes (starting from 1/2"). However, not many manufacturers produce 6D valves for sizes less than 2".

You can find 3/4" ball valves designed per API 608 or ASME B16.34 easily for petroleum industry.

Hi KernOily,

API 608 does cover most end connections.

See following excerpt from 5th Edition API 608.

1.1 This standard specifies the requirements for metal ball valves suitable for petroleum, petrochemical, and industrial applications that have:
— flanged ends in sizes DN 15 through DN 600 (NPS 1/2 through NPS 24);
— butt-welding ends in sizes DN 15 through DN 600 (NPS 1/2 through NPS 24);
— socket-welding ends in sizes DN 8 through DN 50 (NPS 1/4 through NPS 2);
— threaded ends in sizes DN 8 through DN 50 (NPS 1/4 through NPS 2).
Corresponding to the nominal pipe sizes in ASME B36.10M.

Excellent - thanks. I missed that. Thank you!

Question - Does compliance with API 608 mean that the valve complies with 6D also?

Hi KernOily,

No. API 6D is focused on pipeline valves, while API 608 is on metallic ball valves in general.

In my limited experience (9 years dealing with valves in O&G), API 6D usually has stricter requirements and is commonly referred to by major O&G companies when purchasing ball valves 2" and above. Below 2", they will refer to API 608 or ASME B16.34, even though the standard covers larger sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back