Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

small cheap 4 channel data logger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
Hi I'm looking for a datalogger. It needs at least 4 analog channels )(more would be better) in (say 0-10v)(more would be better) sampling at 10 Hz per channel (more would be better), with at least 8 bit accuracy (more would be better) and able to store 2 minutes of data (more would be better)

ideally it would cost zero dollars, say 300 tops. I am willing to build a kit but don't want to have to write my own assembly code.

I have found this rather good thing, but it would need a PIC based computer with a USB to store the data. A rather heavy alternative would be to just buy an old laptop and plug it into that.

This would probably do the whole job, but looks like a long learning curve.

Also, any ideas on cheap latacc and longacc and yaw rate senors?

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I watched your post with no replies. I can't help you directly.

I normally use a PC/Laptop to log the data and there are many ready built and kits that would suit you. However I assume that you want a standalone unit. There seems to be a number of these using memory cards or USB memory to log to.

Doing a stability control?

p.s I'm in Australia.

Yes, that's a good ish solution. Frankly I was hoping for something on a single board, but there is a big advantage in having a whole computer to do it on - it is all self contained.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I particularly like the solid state hard drives for such a harsh environment.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

I just got one of those Asus EEE Pc's that Patprimmer was talking about.

Picked it up used for 200$. Runs great if you strip off the original linux distro that it comes with (not a fan). I installed Xubuntu.

If you decide to go with a computer I highly recommend using this if you are comfortable with linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back