Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Diameter Crimped Splice Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostsheep

Petroleum
May 6, 2005
CA
I'm looking for a small diamenter cable splice. I need to connect 2 x 16AWG wire and then push the connection through a hole no larger then 0.250". The connection must use crimps (no solder) as well as be insulated (no heat shrink) as the connection will be made in a hazardous environment. To top it off it needs to be able to handle up to 350°F.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Lost Sheep

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want a butt splice connector.
In an old catalogue I have found several options for you.
1> 16-14 awg butt splice Nylon insulated, OD .148
2> 16-14 awg butt splice Vinyl insulated, OD .202
3> 16-14 awg butt splice, Bare OD not given,
Insulated with;
4> Kynar heat shrink tubing -67F to +347F If you have a little wiggle room on the temperature.
5> Teflon (TFE) heat shrink tubing -88F to +482F
6> Teflon (FEP) heat shrink tubing -88F to +392F
I know you said no heat shrink, but I doubt that you will find an insulated connector rated for 350F.
If this must meet NEC, you may have a challenge.

Hi waross,

I just learned that Teflon heatshrink exists. I'm not sure exactly where that will be useful, but it is handy to know when the time comes. Thanks!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

No, I haven't dealt with CPC in a long time. Do you think it is worth us getting an account set up with them? They were fairly focussed on the commercial repair of audio/visual equipment when I last used them: it might take a bit of effort justifying to the purchasing dept. of a power station why I want to use them over RS / Farnell unless they offer us an advantage.

What was in the flyer? I'll have a poke about on their website later on.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Nah. It's just that the latest CPC flyer has some teflon heatshrink tubing in it...

I think the term "focussed" is a bit of an exaggeration these days, the CPC catalogue seems to have a bit of everything in it.

And they're part of Farnell now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back