Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small diameter Pipe / Tubing inspection suggestions? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweleski

Chemical
Nov 14, 2010
US
I've got a process by-product stream that has lengths of 1" stainless pipe that takes several twists and turns but it wasn't properly designed with cleanouts and there are no pressure taps. The stream is a corrosive gas mixture which results in significant tar/goo/sludge (basically various poly C / Si cats and dogs). Some of it stays liquid at room temp, and some of it ends up as a solid fouling layer in the pipes. Over time, buildup can occur and areas become constricted, but it is difficult to pinpoint exactly where. We have a cleaning solution that we can pipe thru the whole system to cut thru the fouling, but it is very intrusive and disruptive to plant operations. In theory I would like to just weld in many pressure taps at various locations and pinpoint by locating the pressure drop... this may be where we end up going... but I just want to ask the question:

Does anyone know of any good pipe inspection camera that can negotiate a few twists and turns of 1" OD pipe? How about 2" or less? I don't need to buy the tool but could rent it. Any companies that can come and do this (in MI?). Any other methods of inspection and pinpointing blockages that you would suggest?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks. 30 meters is plenty. I'd probably be ok with only 5-10 meters of length. I was trying to figure out what the smallest diameter tube one could inspect with this device .. I'll call Omega and check when I get a sec. I am guessing this is the 0.2" they are referring to.

Another difficulty with this application which I forgot about until further thought: the brown slime/goo in the lines will get on the lens and ruin the view. Would need an inspection tool that has some air blower on the lens to keep it clean, or some shield or wiper... which of course will make it all the more unlikely to get anything which can do <= 1" pipe....

Open to suggestions... Thanks!

Why not design your lines to be piggable. Then they will be clean, and you won't need a inspection camera.

Compositepro- not his choice of pipe design probably had nothing to do with the design.

Yes, cloa is correct... I'm just dealing with what I was handed to me. But we're planning redesigns now, and the piggable thing gives me something to ponder. Thanks!

One of the poly pig companies had key chain cup pigs they gave away. I asked them why they had the little things made just for gifts. They told me they were real pigs and that breweries used them to clean thier lines. It was a3/4" pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back