Small Leg Supported Alcohol Tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPbris

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2017
BR
Hi,

I've been asked by a customer to design an atomspheric tank for process use. The tank is vented to the atmosphere on the top part so it is atmospheric pressure. Only load to be considered than is hydrostatic pressure due to the fluid.

The dimensions are
Diameter 3800 mm
T/T Height 6000 mm
2p1 Elliptical heads
Leg supported

Is there any standard for the construction of these? It does not have to be stamped or anything like that. I am familiar with BPVC, API 650 and API 620, but BPVC is not applicable since it is atmospheric pressure, API 650 and 620 are for larger diameter storages tanks.

Is there any standard for these applications? Or is just application of good engineering practice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I was you I would simply write a data sheet for the tank then go and find some suitable local tank builders and get them to do it.

Small non code tanks are very common and are just "industrial quality".

Basically the guys that do it all the time know if it breaks they will need to go and fix it.

If you really want to try look at AWWA D100 for starters 9 water, but it's close to alcohol

More important is whether this is food grade or not so you may end up with a stainless tank.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It's not uncommon to have small non-code tanks.
You COULD use ASME (low pressure is exempt, but you can still apply it anyway if you want to.)
You COULD use API-620 (F&D heads may not design very well, and it's geared towards field-erected tanks.)
You could use API-650 and qualify "to the extent applicable". Note that Annex J addresses small shop-built tanks. But the suspended bottom and legs are not covered by the standard.
You could use UL-142. It includes tanks on legs, but doesn't really give any design guidance on them.
Refer to ASCE 7 for wind and seismic loads. Refer to NFPA 30 and/or IFC for general requirements for flammable-product tanks, including venting and spacing requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back