Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small portable generator and 60cps production

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTM2U

Electrical
Jan 22, 2005
US
Looking for information on small portable generator and 60cps production. I've a used 2500 watt 110v generator which has lost it's governed rpm setting.

Asking around it was suggested that I use a frequency meter to set the RPM rather than setting the RPM at the design 3600. Since I don't have a frequency meter my thoughts are they specify 3600 as the desired RPM and not say 3660 or 3540 which would represent 1 (one) CPS either way of 60cps. Using the tachometer of a mechanics tach/dwell meter I should be able to set the RPM and achieve the desired engine speed and CPS. Currently it produces 94v and a 6.5 amp drill under load will stall the engine; however; if I manually operate the governor increasing the speed until it reaches 121v it's able to deliver 22 amps at 118v with a 50 deg.F rise in generator air temperature.

Any input on whether this would be a reliable method of setting governor speed would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the problem with trying to operate it without a governor will be that as your load increases or decreases, the generator throttle control will not follow. So even if you "set" the frequency somewhere it will change as soon as you load the generator. You should get that fixed.

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back