Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Small scale powertrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiocad

Structural
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hi all, kind of new to this, so please excuse any questions that seem elementary. Am not an automotive engineer or anything like that, just a weekend warrior with projects floating around. Am currently working on a project with (2) 2-stroke engines, that run a variety of items, off of a central driveshaft. Is there some sort of small scale clutch that I can use to connect both engines, that will account for variances in speed and power between the engines, that will disconnect if one engine if it fails, so the other continues to provide rotation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would seem that a standard centrifugal clutch, either dry or oil filled would be suitable. They work well enough in go-carts and mini-bikes ranging in horsepower from 2 or 3 all the way up to 40 or more. Two engine applications are common, also. Clutch engagement rpm and rate of engagement are adjustable with the use of springs and weights etc.
Equally viable would be a one way dog-clutch arangement (much like the recoil starter on your lawnmower), and it might even be less expensive.

I just thought of something else---Salsbury type belt drive (the type used in F-500 race cars, as an example ) would also work and have the advantage of a variable ratio engagement, thereby adjusting for different rpm's of the two engines.

Actually, this project sounds like fun. But I am always up for strange projects (just ask my wife).

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back