Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Components losing reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloeff

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2002
US
I have encountered a problem that envolves the smart component feature and would like to know if there is a solution.

I made an assembly with the part I wanted to make a "smart component" and 3 parts that would be affected by it. All of the parts have matching configurations that are defined in the smart component assembly. In one of the parts I have a a plane at part level used to reference "up to surface" in a hole wizard... which works fine in the original assembly and with the initial insertion of the smart features. The problem comes when I change the smart component to a different configuration... the reference plane is lost.
How can I keep the plane from losing reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reference plane exists and is resolved in all configurations in the defining assembly of the smart component.

In a new assembly with the smart component inserted and mated:
After I insert the smart features, I change the component properties of the smart component to a different configuration and get the error in the component with the hole wizard feature referencing the plane. Even when I edit the hole wizard feature added by the smart feature and reselect the reference plane, it gets lost when I select a different configuration and come back to the one that I reselected the plane in.

Have you tried using a DT to maintain the configs & their respective mates? That should make the assy more stable.

What SW/SP version are you using?

If SW05, try suppressing & unsupressing the mates.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Each part has it's own design table and the defining assembly has a configuration table. All mates and features are unsuppressed and all features are configuration specific. I have tried different methods, but I want to use the hole wizard feature to keep my hole callouts consistent.
I am using SW2006 SP4.1

Is the plane used for the "Up to surface" hole positioned differently between configs?
Can you replace that hole depth with an actual dimension in the part DT?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back