Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smarteam Desktop 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfire

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2006
AU
Hi, good day!

I am confronted with a smarteam problem at the moment.

Wish someone can tell me what is smarteam desktop? What is it for? Why do files link to the desktop?

what will happen if I don't link file to the desktop?

Forever Young

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first level of the document browser is referred as the desktop, if you don't place it on the desktop it will be saved but linked to that projects document browser. So if it isn't on the desktop then you need to search for it to access it.

By the way... this is a forum and not a support site...

clarification:
The first level of the document browser is referred as the desktop, if you don't place it on the desktop it will be saved but NOT linked to that projects document browser. So if it isn't on the desktop then you need to search for it to access it.

I ask question here, because the support team wasn't helpful.
It takes long time, and they only tell you how to install it not how to use it.

at least for me.

Thanks, Aerael,your answer is helpful.

Forever Young

The team I am working with have got more than 5000 files on the desktop.

Is too many files on desktop a problem?

The real problems is that the top level assemblies don't link to latest sub assembly and parts anymore. They just call up very early versions as the latest, which is a disaster.

Any one can kindly give some advice? Cause we have called up the support but the answer is "normal".

Thanks in advance. Your help will be highly appreciated.
[cheers]

Forever Young

Don't think many parts on the desktop is a problem, but the idea with the desktop is to have an easy to navigate area for the project. Why not structure it with folders to get a better overview?

Abot the assembly linking issues I can't really give you any advices, hard to get an understanding when you are not there, but it sounds serious.

Thanks, Azrael. Your reply is good enough to satisfy me. I am not an administrator. So, I don't know what is going on too.

Wish they can find the problem and fix it.

Thanks again.

Forever Young

The not linking to latest sounds like the option in the admin options is not set to automatically switch to latest (which incidentally is the way I prefer it). During lifecycle operations you can perform the action switch all children to latest or use the global refresh command in CATIA to pull in all the latest children.

After you succeed in checking all of your working files into the smart team vault, use the smart team explorer utility to clean up you work directory.

Thanks PeterGuy and Tbuelna. You both are right, I can not agree more.

The smarteam I am with used to be fine, all of a sudden it behaved crazily last week during administrator's holiday.

Clean up the working DIR should be a good practice, but for some reason, they only remove a few assemblies and parts to try cleaning up in a smaller scale. But it didn't work.

I tried file operation-----copy-----action-----swith children to the latest. But since I still have files in working dir, it didn't allow me to do that. Maybe I will try it next Monday.

Thank you all.

Forever Young

snowfire,

Don't be too hard on your administrator. Setting up and maintaining a SmartTeam database is very difficult. The (small) company I work at just had it done by somebody that is very experienced at it, and it took three of their people working full time for 2 weeks to do the initial setup. They've also been back a couple of times to fix some bugs.

Overall though, it seems to be very stable and works quite well for us. We manage all type of files & links with it- CATIA, NASTRAN/PATRAN, FLUENT, MATLAB, EXCEL, COBRA. The more I use it, the more I seem to like it.

Thanks tbuelna, you are right.

I am not saying it is an administration problem. In fact, they tried hard to fix the problem and keep data safe in the same time. It is complex and hard work.

The thing is that we have to stop and wait until it is fixed.

I am patient enough to ignore the negative feedback from the surrounding. But what will you feel when people compare PDM system with native UG(no PDM), and prefer native UG (which is able to get latest version) to Smarteam ( which is PDM but not able to get latest parts). I can not say anything.

Forever Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back