Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Smoke Evacuation or Smoke Control Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech

Mechanical
Mar 20, 1999
US
Does anyone have code references to requirements that a "Life Safety" system should and must fail to the mode that would ensure that the Life Safety system continued to operate Properly in a fire situation. Specifically, I am concerned with the use of poly tubing to operate smoke dampers that fail to the closed position. In a fire, the poly will melt and cause the smoke dampers to close and the smoke evacuation and/or smoke control system will fail to perform it's intended duty. I need code and/or standards language to back up my insistence that the tubing be protected or copper or ?.<br>
Thanks to the group<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at NFPA Standard 92B Guide for Smoke Management Systems in Malls, Atria, and Large Areas, Section 2-3 Design Features, sub section 2-3.1, Fault Analysis, and 2-3.2, Reliability. Although the standard doesn't specifically say they should be "fail-safe", one could conclude they should be.<br>
<br>
In NFPA Standard 92A Recommended Practice for Smoke-Control Systems, Section 2-1.5 discusses system integrity and says the systems should remain effective during evacuation of the protected areas but other considerations may dictate that a system should remain effective for longer periods of time.

Thanks to LeaderP for the response to my question regarding the use of poly tubing in a life safety system specifically related to smoke control. <br>
I appreciate your reference to 92B and 92A - I have tried to use both references to make my point that the systems should fail to the "Life Safety" position. We still have a number of people out there that refuse to take a stand on something they know is the right thing to do but will not stand up to an Architect or Owner unless they have a "Code Requirement" to hide behind. <br>
Thanks again for your response and as an update, I have been working with the Hospital Licensing Authority in my State to get them to take a position on this issue. Their reponse is that they agree that the Smoke Control systems should fail to the Life Safety position but there is no Code Requirement and they can not enforce something that is not a Code Requirement. How unfortunate that something so simple will take a loss of life or significant property loss to push our Licensing and/or Code people to write a formal "Requirement"<br>
I will keep spreading the word and trying to change things.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Tech

You may wish to check the Uniform Building Code.
905.10 Control Air Tubing.
This section would disallow poly if your application is governed by this code.
Similarly plenum cable is disallowed under section
905.9.2 Wiring.

I don't know the building code used in your location contains similar language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back