Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SMT header

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradrs

Computer
Sep 17, 2003
US

I have a microcontroller PCB designed I've inherited at work, where it is required to solder some wires onto the PCB and then short them together to get into programming mode.

The PCB has an STM33F303 micro where you have to pull the BOOT0 pin high to get it into programming mode. This programming seems to be an afterthough on the PCB, since I have to solder a couple of wires on to pull that pin high during programming.

I am having to solder these wires onto an 0603 resistor pad to get the BOOT0 pin pulled high. I was looking to see if there is any sort of SMT header that I could attach to the 0603 pad, so that once the modification is done once, it will be easy to swap back and forth. Unfortunately, I am not seeing a lot of options out there. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally a programming fixture is created that position pogo pins to make temporary connections for programming.

Without a picture of the board it's not easy to recommend; I think a single pin soldered onto an 0603 pad would just be a way to destroy the pad.

This wasn't worth the time to make a pogo pin fixture. It is an older design that we only had a few of. Easier to just solder a wire to the pads, program, and then remove the wire.

I was just curious if there was anything like an SMT to header adapter. I hadn't seen one before, and I could see where it might be useful. Although you'd definitely want to be careful with the pad like you mentioned.

Thanks for the response!

Digi-Key has a nice search function. I'd start with "header". I doubt you'll find anything that that would be strong enough to stay on with a single 0603 pad. You'd probably have to epoxy the header to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back