Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap ring Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker001

Aerospace
May 18, 2003
US
The question has come up many times on the installation of the snap ring to hold in bearings in a BLDC motor. Is the correct way with the flat side out or does it matter? You would figure by the design of the snap ring the flat side or (cutting side) would provide a better seat when pressure is applied to the shaft end of the motor. With the round side out it would have more of a chance in walking itself out of the groove over time. Your thoughts and past practices would be greatly appritiated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello striker101

The reason for the snap ring is to keep the assembly fixed
to a journal area.The acting forces are axially from the bearing side against the snap ring.
If this is in fact what your snap ring is doing ,than I would think the side that offers the greatest resistance to that force,has to be the right side.
Flat side for me.

GusD

striker,
you are so correct in your observation of a surface difference of the snap-ring, one side being flat and the other rounded off, as a motor repairer I continuosly encounter incorrectly installed snap/retaining rings and occasionaly I encounter snap-rings that are rounded on both surfaces, however the rule of thumb I use is, the load is best restrained when applied against the flat surface in other words if you have say a bearing in a electric motor endbell install the snap-ring with flat facing toward the rotor.
Hope this helps.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back