Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snow drift load on porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
Hi,

Should we account for snow drift load from the higher roof (house) on the porch roof when the higher roof (house roof) slopes to the other sides away from the lower roof (not towards the lower roof)?

Screenshot_20201002-212601_S_Note_heocwu.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe the OP is in Canada.

Technically part 9 doesn't require buildup. However in situations where i know that buildup is a real possibility I will use the part 4 provisions but use a cb=0.55

Drift is caused by wind blow the loose snow over the unobstructed edge of the high roof, so it needs to be considered.

Yes I'm in Ontario, Canada. I tried to check the relavent NBC 4.1.6.5 but the copy I have jumps from 4.1.6.4. To 4.1.7! I couldn't check the details.

I agree that technically under Part 9 of the OBC, drifting and buildup do not need to be considered for residential situations such as described by the OP. In fact, buried somewhere in Appendix A of the OBC (likely somewhere near this code clause #) it states something to the effect that even though it is recognized that valleys and step heights in residential houses may collect additional snow drifts, there has never in the history of the code been a failure attributable to excessive drifting. That being said, if your judgment tells you that there may be additional snow drifting, use a conservative value for the snow design load, round up, etc.... to give you the comfort that you need. Part 4 structures are totally different and you would be designing for quite a large snow load on the lower roof.

One odd thing with part 9 if the formula in 9.4.2.1.f
It makes 0 sense for a flat roof
Agreed that historically nothing happened, just have to wonder how many design events actually happened according to code.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back