Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Snow drifting in International Residential Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel-PRE

Specifier/Regulator
Sep 5, 2023
US
Is there any reference to snow drifting in the IRC? I'm looking in 2018 and I haven't found a single reference. Is it not considered on these structures? How has the design been limited to avoid snow drifting? I don't know of any sections that require the roof structure to all be at the same elevation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I tried looking through the forum to find if this had been discussed, but all I found was combining snow and live load for deck designs...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of anything that requires it to be considered directly under the IRC. It should be, and any engineer submitting a design in snow country that doesn't consider it is probably being negligent....but for a contractor's special with all prescriptive, table based member sizes and connections I hope/think it must be baked into those tables?

That's what I'm wondering, the scope of an IRC building is pretty open-ended when it comes to shape and stories and little roofs. Can't tell if they assume the homeowner will go take care of a drift or not, haha.

IRC limits prescriptive application to areas with a ground snow load less than or equal to 70psf (2018 R301.2.3). In addition, there is a limit for structural wall height of 10ft (2018 Table R602.3(5)). Trussed roof length is limited to 40ft (several sections in Chapter 8).

It's a really large leap to make, but if we follow those prescriptions listed above to calculate drift, the largest drift surcharge I can calc out is 67psf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back