Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Snow Loading on odd roof structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
I am wondering if anyone here has ever rationalized the snow drift loading on a structure where the roof transitions into a pyramid or cone shape. For example, a flat roof with a large steel structure skylight. Here is a rough sketch of what the cross section of the roof would be:

cross_we4d1h.png

The slope of this structure is at a 1:1, 7.6m above top of roof.

Under the NBCC2020 code I am trying to determine which snow loadings would be applicable.

Straight off the bat there will be sliding, which is easily addressible.

Some other considerations would be to take it as a roof projection (obstruction) or treating it as a high-low condition, both of which come with reasons why they may not be applicable.

Starting with roof projections:
[ul]
[li]The roof is at a 45° so it may not really be a projection, but wind will still push a drift up to it[/li]
[li]The perimeter of this upper-roof structure is ~62m so the drift length can be very long depending what you take l[sub]0[/sub] to be[/li]
[li]Since the roof is at a 45°, what would the appropriate projection height be? As we increase projection height, the drift increases, until eventually height stops governing.[/li]
[li]Roof projections don't address the source area the same way high-low does, but given that we are including sliding seperately should be okay[/li]
[/ul]

Now if we treat it as a high-low:
[ul]
[li]There is no clear "h" difference in height, but case 2 of Figure 4.1.6.5.-B addresses the condition where wind pushes snow up to our "upper roof" which ends up governing anyways[/li]
[li]The snow load value treating it as a high low is lower than a projection, but still quite high.[/li]
[/ul]

To give some context, when running it as a roof projection, with 31m l[sub]0[/sub] representing half of the perimeter, I get a 14kPa drift that is 20m long. If i take l[sub]0[/sub] as 20m (the diameter of my cone shape) its a 10kPa drift thats 16m long. Both of these are assuming the height is 7m since that is the height from top of roof to the peak of this structure, because I can't rationalize an appropriate height to take as alluded to above.

If ran as a high-low condition, the case 2 yields much more reasonable results of 5.8kPa of 6m length, assuming the source area is the area of my cone roof.

Neither of the values above include sliding, which would be added to them. Sliding would have a greater influence on my shorter drifts as the code indicates to distribute the sliding snow over the length x[sub]d[/sub].

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe wind would blow snow across the roof and up and over the ridge. Where the wind stream detaches at the ridge, the turbulence would deposit some snow on the opposite side of the ridge. This leeward drift would control over the windward case, since the roof is symmetrical about the ridge. I would classify that scenario as more akin to an obstruction than a hi-lo. However, with a small fetch distance, the drift probably wouldn’t be significant relative to the sliding snow case.

bones206 said:
However, with a small fetch distance, the drift probably wouldn’t be significant relative to the sliding snow case.

The roof itself is basically a 60m radius circle, and this cone shape is right in the middle of 19m diameter 7.6m high. I checked the sliding and it only contributes another 5.9kN/m to my drift (then distributed into a triangle as per the code). I'm just unsure what to take for the projection height since its on a such a slope, I'd imagine as you said that the wind will push the snow around the cone to the leeward face.

The NBCC addresses this, but due to my slope the deposited snow on the leeward face is less than a flat roof would be.

Oh, it's a cone. I was envisioning a ridge line, similar to the classic Pizza Hut roof profile. It sounds like the fetch distance is actually pretty long. With a round cone, I imagine the drifted snow would cover some arc length on the leeward side representing the wind "shade" area. How does the projection height factor into drift with NBCC? I'm just not very familiar with the NBCC.

bones206 said:
How does the projection height factor into drift with NBCC?

The driving factor for magnitude is defined as shown below:
Ca_m8wza0.png

Length typically governs past a certain point and acts as a sort of cap to how wild the height can run, however with a projection as long as what I am dealing with, the height is allowed to influence much longer.

I wish there was something to help with snow blowing up to a sloped structure. I've considered treating it as a projection, but then spreading it out over a larger area that creeps up the cone a bit (creep up the slope to whatever height of drift is) and then that would lower my overall kPa at the high end.

Since it's a cone, I could get behind using the average height as your h. Especially if you're going to add in sliding snow on top of whatever drift you come up with.

For what it's worth, if this a local project for you, something like your 5.8-6 kPa plus sliding snow really feels like it's in the right ballpark.

jayrod12 said:
For what it's worth, if this a local project for you, something like your 5.8-6 kPa plus sliding snow really feels like it's in the right ballpark.

Yea I agree. When I was running it initially and getting 14kPa it just blew my mind. Ended up going with 9.5kPa, but the length of drift is much lower. Includes sliding, and the Ss and Sr values are decently high here since we are right beside a major body of water.

Appreciate all the feedback, sometimes just need a sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back