Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snow Loads Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaidavid40

Structural
Jun 18, 2007
US
Is anyone aware of a stand-alone snow loads calculation program (not a spreadsheet) that calculates various snow load conditions per ASCE 7-10? I'm looking for something akin to the "MECA Wind" software, as an example.
Thoughts?
Dave

Thaidavid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out TEDDS. It will calculate snow drifts for flat, monoslope, and gable roofs. If you have a more complicated geometry, you can simply superimpose the results from the cases mentioned above. It provides the step by step calculations which is also useful.

There was an earlier program written by John Frye of the City of Winnipeg in visual basic that's not to current code. It's not current, but, I'll see if I can still locate a copy. I use spreadsheets for accumulation and obstruction accumulation.

Dik

I've been flirting with Napior as I'm into the whole "cloud calc" model of things. Frankly though, it's not all that much better than a decent spreadsheet if you've already got one.
Nothing on the scale of what MECA wind seems to be.

I'm not sure that you'll ever find something quite like MECA for snow because snow just isn't a complicated of an animal.

I was unaware of MECA before this thread and am considering picking it up. I spend a lot of time on wind each year and probably waste a lot of material over designing things because I'm too lazy to refine my loads. Do you have the standard or professional models? Can you render a recommendation on whether PRO is a good value?

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

KootK -
We use the pro version at our office, and I find that it saves a ton of time on an annual basis when generating wind loads for practically everything. And from the few hand check calculations that I have done on various jobs, it appears to accurately reflect the various intricate code provisions. Even for the "simplified" method, the wind calculations have become tedious, to say the least. It sounds like I am forever relegated to spreadsheets for snow loads - at least until someone comes up with a nice graphical program for it.
Dave

Thaidavid

thaidavid40 said:
It sounds like I am forever relegated to spreadsheets for snow loads - at least until someone comes up with a nice graphical program for it.

Yeah, it would actually be even more useful in Canada. We've got code mandated valley loads etc. Although I could see that being a pretty complex undertaking. I'm trying to talk the Napior guys out of the monthly subscription model ($10). I'd be much happier with $5 per 48hr use and I'd probably end up sending the twice as much money annually.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back