Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SO2 gas and transformer oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

simisteven

Electrical
Mar 23, 2003
ZA
Gents here is one for the chemical boffins. Our plant regularly has SO2 (sulphur dioxide)gas present in the general atmosphere at about 5-15 PPM (occasionally much higher). Question. If this SO2 gas is drawn into an oil filled transformer via the breather in the normal manner in which transformers breathe, could this SO2 gas form any acid (sulphuric) when combined with say 30 PPM of moisture in the oil? The question is really whether the presence of SO2 gas could influence the results of transformer oil analysis?
many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm now trying my thord device to get a comment logged. Here goes.
I don't see why not based on previous experience with air-conditioners and air compressors. Any where there is Carbon, Hydrogen, Sulphur and water it wil eventually make an acid. I have seen air compressors fail due to acid and the coils of large airconditioning units collapse from acids. Low concerntrations of sulphides can also cause sulphide stress cracking in stainless steel. I will sned an e-mail to a friend. If he response, I will post it here.

It is now day time in South Africa. I have checked with the company that does our transformer oil testing and they say it is rare but it does happen and they are dealing with one now.Which country are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back