Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SocketWeld Piping Fittings under European Standards

Mikel R

Mining
Oct 2, 2024
ES
Hello everyone!
This is my first post on the forum, and I’m excited to join this community of engineering professionals.

My team is currently working on a piping specification following the European standard EN 13480. However, we’ve encountered an issue when selecting fittings for steel pipes with diameters below DN 50. In the American standards, we use ASME B16.11 for SocketWeld fittings, but we haven’t been able to find a European equivalent.

Does anyone know if there is a European standard covering these fittings or how we could solve this issue within the European regulatory framework?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I appreciate it!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mikel_R said:
Hello everyone!
This is my first post on the forum, and I’m excited to join this community of engineering professionals.

Welcome to eng-tips. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and that we can learn from each other's experience and knowledge!

Does anyone know if there is a European standard covering these fittings or how we could solve this issue within the European regulatory framework?

Afaik, there is none. The European counterpart for piping (EN 13480) is much more prescriptive then ASME B31.3, when it comes to all sorts of design rules, formulae, special topics, and guidelines. When it comes to making a good pipe spec (i.e. one that comprises fittings that are readily available on the market), Ive found the EN standard to be a real challenge. Sourcing simple fittings can be a real issue. For anything up to PN40, it usually works out OK. Anything higher (PN63 and beyond) will require more attention as fittings and flanges can be non-stock items.

What you might do is use B16.11 SW fittings, but that would require additional to show compliance of such fittings to EN 13480.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

The only way to solve it is not to have any! I don't particularly like SW fittings so it's no loss for me.

Be aware that this particular forum is a bit unused and in future you might be better in the piping and pipelines forum.

XL83NL though is the guru about EN piping codes so you won't get a better response here.

ASME stuff there are more people with experience in the other forum.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Back