Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sodium Chlorate Centrifuge Solids Discharge Deceleration Device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemEcaleb

Chemical
Oct 1, 2015
US
A 450 mm pusher centrifuge operating at 900 rpm discharges 8 tons per hour of 2% wt moisture sodium chlorate into an 10' long 8" vertical cylindrical chute that feeds a fluidized bed dryer (FBD). Chunks of product form on the screen of the FBD directly underneath the feed chute. Efforts have been made to reduce the chunk issue by increasing the height of the bed, increasing airflow, and utilizing a variety of devices (mainly consisting of SS plate at various angles and geometry) lowered in to the dryer underneath the feed chute to slow the velocity of the incoming feed.

My question is: are there any specific devices (other than a horizontal auger) that can be used to slow the velocity of the feed between the centrifuge and the dryer? Something specifically designed for the application of decelerating the feed from a centrifuge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi chemEcaleb,

My thought was initially a short vertical or angled screw directly under the chute, but I gather this is only a version of your horizontal auger.

Another possibility is perhaps some sort of simplified peppermill: chute ending in a coarse perforated steel plate with a rotating knife on top, inside the chute. Note: strong enough, motor perhaps centered under the plate, protected, and holes in plate oriented towards the periphery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back