Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sodium Sulphate Soundness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilian

Civil/Environmental
Aug 12, 2002
AU
From my knowledge, sodium sulphate soundness test is to approximate weathering associated with the expansion on freezing of water in aggregate pores and the expansion of salts on rehydration in marine conditions following repeated wetting and drying.
I have this test imposed by specifications on a road project located in a TROPICAL COUNTRY, ie for base course material and for spray seal aggregates.
Is any other information that this test furnishes?
I'm asking that because it seems not to be relevant for the conditions I have on site.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way to consider this test is as an accelerated weathering test, which reflects the integrety and porosity of a rock to resist weathering. As in many tests, its not so much about identifying a finite value, but providing a comparable value which can be used to distinguish between suitable and unsuitable materials. Although your material may not be subject to freeze/thaw activity or wetting/drying of salt water, the relationaship between 'more durable' and 'less durable' rocks would still provide a valid comparison and could form the basis of selection of a suitable source.
I would hope that the values you are required to meet reflect this, and not that this reqirement has been selected indiscriminantly by including all test requirments from specifications that in turn may not have been written with your site/country in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back