Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soft tempering of 316 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEB31

Materials
Jun 14, 2001
GB
I am working on a project which requires a high strength and high elongation wire for which I have chosen 316 SS. The choice was based on properties given by MatWeb which shows a UTS of 689MPa and an elongation of 50% for a wire diameter of 1.6mm. My problem is that the heat treatment they specify in MatWeb is soft tempered and, as a composites' engineer, I have no idea what temperature and time regime I need to specify to achieve this. I have found a UK source of 316 wire but they want specific heat treatment information. I would be grateful for any enlightenment on the subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your specifications fall within the range for an annealed 316 SS wire. The numbers I've seen range from 650-850 MPa for the annealed material.
Depending on the subsequent forming operations the lower values will be better as the material work hardens when are forming. Again depending on your forming operations you may or may not end up with your desired properties without another heat treatment.

Comeback with a little more information on the part you are wanting to make.

Annealed 316 wire is a standard product. Lock wire is annealed, and it comes in a wide range of sizes.

Let us know what you are specifically looking for.

I don't recall our exact anneal cycles. They were all done continious in strand furnaces. The temps were between 1850F and 2050F depending on gage and prior cold work. The times were all between 10s and 45s.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

The Matweb properties are for material which has been annealed and then slightly cold-worked. "Temper" in this case means soem degree of cold work, not heating as is done with martensite. "Soft" temper is not truly a valid specification, but from the tensile strength you cite, it would look to be about a 1/8 hard, another colloquialism unfortunately.
You can order to an ASTM spec and just stipulate the yield and tensile strengths you desire. They must,of course, not be mutually exclusive.
Tell me what you want in properties and I'll give you the way to request it.

Michael McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back