Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soften neoprene? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmak100

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2009
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any effective way to soften neoprene? I have some neoprene with durometer of 95 and would like it to be in the 70s or even lower.

would the methods for rubber works just as well? such as petroleum oils or bleach.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not understand what you want to do. Are you saying you have some cured (vulcanised) Neoprene that you need to make softer or do you have uncured Neoprene compound that requires additional softener?

If cured Neoprene then you should be aware that this polymer has good to excellent resistance to most mineral and synthetic oils, greases and fuels. You are unlikely to make any difference to the hardness of your compound. With regard to the effects of bleach solutions - my information tells me the resistance of Neoprene to bleach is poor at best but, again, any changes in hardness are likely to be a surface effect only.

If uncured you could add about 40phr dioctylphthalate or dioctylsebacate to the formula. This change will reduce the cured hardness by about 20 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back