Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softening Automotive Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangs

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2002
CA
I am recycling recovered glycol (ethylene, aircraft deicing fluid) and turning it into automotive antifreeze. The only problem I have is that the antifreeze is needs to be softened to meet some manufacturer's automotive spec.

I am a mechanical engineer and not too proficient with chemistry so any suggestions on ways to soften a fluid would be appreciated.

The fluid is slightly higher than 50/50 concentration by volume of ethylene glycol.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mustang, I take it when you say approx. 50/50 gylcol mix the other portion is water? If so, you already have the approx. general recommended mix ratio. One thing to look at though, is potential salts and sand/cinder contamination. This stuff is used for snow and ice removal on the runways and work areas.

As aircraft de-icing fluid (ethylene glycol), try to get your hands on the MSDS for the fluid and the Technical Data Sheet. This material may already have various additive packages in it (anti-corrosion compounds, dyes, etc.). Once you know this, you'll need to compare it to the Automotive manu'f. recommendations/spec.

Good luck.
saxon

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I've done some more investigating and found that the Calcium and Magnesium levels are around 1100 mg/L. I need to get those down to around 100 mg/L.

In the recycling process there is quite of a bit of filtration and the final product is actually distilled which helps get rid of any solid particle contamination.

I have been taking samples before the addative package is put in and have been told that an ion exchanger is probably the easiest way to go.

Again any input is appreciated

Mustangs

As suggested above, make sure you know what is in the glycol you currently have. some corrosion inhibitors can be detrimental to the aluminum components in automotive engines. I am specificaly thinking of the heads, which see high temperatures, and the corrosive nature of some inhibitors to aluminum at high temps.

Andrew Lechelt
Technical Support Engineer
Quadra Chemicals

I've been talking to water softening companies and showed some of them the lab results for the composition of the fluid. They have said that using a water softener with water softening salt will do the trick.

They've said that a water softener could lower the Calcium and Magnesium levels in the fluid without changing anything else.

Are there any other ways to do this which may either work faster or are easier to do?

The additive package we are using, combined with any softening technique has been approved for automotive use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back