Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for 2D Unique Identification barcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockdesigner331

Mechanical
May 13, 2005
US
Hello all,
I have a customer who requires a unique Identification barcode electroetched onto parts we make for them. This isn't a standard barcode though it's one of those 2D barcodes. We have the equipment and the know how to make the electroetch templates, we just need the software to generate the barcode. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what software works well making these codes? It would need to either output the code as a picture or directly into a word processor for it to be useful for us when we make the electro-etch templates (not printed out directly to a label). Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A Google search on "2D barcode generator software", without the quotes, was productive.

Of course it gets to be more fun when you're working with rocket scientists who just have to roll their own barcode, but I think you will find solutions adaptable for that too.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

yeah, I googled for it, tons of hits. But as we all know there is more garbage software out there then good software. Was looking for advice from someone who has actually used the software. I really don't have the time to download all the demos and try them out.

Sorry for the late response, here's what they spec out:

"Minimum mark is a data matrix ECC200 symbol using ISO 15434 syntac and the semantics of ISO 15418 marking; Text Element Identification (TEI) preferred or Data Identifier (DI) per MIL-STD-130"

I've used programs from Zebra (zebra designer) and Wasp (labeler).. Both have free versions available. Though typically for 2D you need to buy the program which is cheap.

Just give either of them a call (I'd recommend Wasp over Zebra) and discuss your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back